[blparent] sighted children at convention?

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Fri Apr 2 15:41:31 UTC 2010

Dear Julie,

I started bringing my sighted daughter to conventions when she was ten or
eleven.  She had never seemed to be troubled about having a blind mom, and
like your son, had known blind people all her life.  I was really struck,
then, by the bonding she did at convention with other children of blind
parents.  There wasn't any sort of formal gathering, but they found each
other and connected.  I'm not sure how much they talked about their
experience of having blind parents either, not in any prolonged way, but
there really seemed to be a sense of sharing.

I vividly remember an incident my daughter described to me one year at
convention when she was fourteen.  She and a sighted friend, Crystal, got
into an elevator with their towels and bathing suits, heading up to the
pool.  A sighted man, not with the convention, got in and immediately
started talking to the girls.  He said, "I can't wait to check out of here
and get away from all these people with their dogs and their sticks!"  Janna
told me proudly that Crystal gave him a hard look and said, "Those are our
parents."  If she had been alone, it might have been a far more painful
experience, but because the girls shared it and supported one another, she
felt empowered.

Debbie