[blparent] Looking for Literature orothersuggestionsforeducating my new DR. On parenting as aBlind person

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Sat Apr 3 02:47:47 UTC 2010

It's hard, but I think sometimes you have to just let the ignorant questions
roll off your back.  There was a middle-aged woman who picked me up recently
so I could visit a local writing group at the library, and she said, "My
goodness, you and your little girl don't live in this house by yourselves,
do you?"  I thought it was odd, but I told her no, Sarah's dad came home
every night.  She said, "Good, I'd just hate to think of you two trying to
get along all by yourselves."

I guess I could have gotten defensive, or I could have explained to her that
I do most of the work of parenting even when Daddy's around, but I felt like
it wasn't worth the effort.  I probably wouldn't change her mind.  A doctor
is someone worth educating because he or she can have a big impact on your
life, and the lives of those who follow.  A greeter at Wal-Mart, or a
passing acquaintance--well, all I can say is, pick your battles.  Good luck
to those of you who have more patience and intestinal fortitude than I do.