[blparent] need to think something out

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Thu Apr 8 21:23:00 UTC 2010

I don't believe that most people ever truly think of harming their babies or
getting rid of them.  I never had those thoughts, but then again, I was
older and had waited a very long time for my baby, too.  I think most people
are just speaking out of ordinary tiredness and frustration.  I did
sometimes feel overwhelmed, or like I was inadequate for the job of
parenting.  I still get frustrated or down on myself at times.  But any
thoughts of explicitly harming a baby, especially anything that lasts longer
than a split second in exasperation, should probably be taken seriously and
discussed with a professional, just to be on the safe side.  There are a lot
of advertisements on the radio right now about shaken baby syndrome, which
can happen in no time at all, just a quick shake, and it's really sad.  The
ads recommend putting the baby down in a safe place like a crib or somewhere
and walking away if you feel yourself building up to the crisis point.  I
don't ever remember feeling like that, but I do recall sitting in a chair
with a screaming baby during the third hour of nonstop crying, having no
more idea at all what to do, and thinking I wasn't going to be a good
parent.  It all comes out in different ways, but most of the problem is
probably just exhaustion and a lack of confidence, which will usually take
care of themselves with time.