[blparent] A quick guide dog question

sharon howerton shrnhow at att.net
Wed Apr 28 19:53:24 UTC 2010

Karla, as a graduate of Guiding Eyes in NY and a just completed member of
the graduate council, I would strongly suggest you contact Guiding Eyes at
800-942-0149.
guidingeyes.org
where you can apply online. I did interview a graduate who was a first timer
and did home training because she had young children. We do more home
training than before. Part of your home interview which is a requirement of
the application process could involve a discussion of your family situation.
Secondly, as many know, I am an instructor with Hadley and we offer a course
called Guide Dogs which can be helpful for individuals considering this
major life change.
Finally, if you (or anyone) would like to discuss this guide dog situation
with me off list, I would be glad to do so. Mary Jane is my first guide
obtained when I was 52 and had used a cane for 40 years. Of course, by the
time I got her, my sons were grown.
Sharon
shrnhow at att.net