[blparent] challenges with dressing an infant

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Fri Apr 30 22:55:29 UTC 2010

Hi Scott.  I know what you're saying about a squirming baby kicking the foot
out of the pants that you just got in, and that may not change for a long
while.  Sarah still does that now and then, and she's over two.  What I've
found effective is to pick up the baby as quickly as you can after getting
the feet in, and then pull up the pants while you are holding her in a
vertical position, instead of doing it while she is still lying flat on the
changing table.  That way she has less opportunity to kick her feet out of
the pants, or at least it is a little harder for her to do.

I would also suggest that it might be worthwhile for Cindy to try dressing
Leah with her eyes closed, even if it's true that since she can see, she
might have less trouble than you do.  It was an enlightening experience for
Gerald to attempt a few things with his eyes closed, even though he's
reasonably understanding about my challenges.  The big difference he noticed
when working without sight was that things took a little longer for him
because he couldn't just see where something was and reach out to grab it.
After that, he started taking a lot more care with putting household items
back where he found them.

Hang in there!