[blparent] EXTERNAL:Re: 5th grade teacher

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Thu Aug 19 14:36:06 UTC 2010

V,
Why do you think he has a problem with you being blind?
You loved this guy when you first met him, what has changed? I'm being
serious here, not mean. It might be that you two are stuck in your
paradigms, he hears"Mama doesn't think or want her kid to do the class
assignments" and you hear "He has a problem with my blindness".
As for the meeting time, he may have set up the time, but you agreed to
it. If the time doesn't work, switch it. You are half of of the
interface.
Know too that you can tell him he is not to comment to Gab or to other
students or to the class as a whole about your blindness. I don't know
that you want to do this, but you can. I also don't know that you want
to change the meeting time, but again, you are allowed to reschedule The
time slot he proposed sounds reasonable, Gab won't have the dreaded
"stay after class" vibe, and this issue will be resolved at the start of
the day. If it isn't, you have the option of getting the big guns
involved, something you can't do as easily late on Friday. Will Gab be
present at this meeting? If not, you may need to reschedule and that is
what you should say. Gab can also go to a friend's house and catch the
bus there. You can take a cab, or maybe as the other mom for a ride, or
walk whichever weather and distance and health permit.
You do have a bunch of ways to handle this.