[blparent] A day at the zoo

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Mon Aug 30 02:13:59 UTC 2010

My family had a great day at the zoo yesterday.  Daisy the elephant was
celebrating her first birthday and the girl scouts were invited to party
with her and earn a patch and badge.  We left the house around 9:00 and
picked up a friend from another troop.  Our leader couldn't participate so
the girls were on their own if they wanted this special badge.
We arrived just in time to see Daisy come into the play area.  She was
playing with a rather large rubber ball.  She rolled it all over the play
area.  Everyone said you could tell by the way she moved her mouth that she
was indeed a baby.  Next the girl scouts were herded into an area where
there were booths set up.  Each booth was manned by a volunteer who
educated each girl about something special to Asian elephants.  The tusks,
the teeth, the fur/hair, the food, the ears the life span, etc.  Everything
was very interesting.  Then a Thai performing group took the stage.
Dancers, singers and plain music filled the enclosure.  Then the girls went
back to where Daisy, her mother and her grandmother were waiting.
Now it was time to watch them play with their piñatas.  Daisy was frightened
of hers and quickly ran away.  Mom, rosie, and grandma, alice, took charge
and stomped theirs until the marshmallows and cantaloupe came rolling out.
When Daisy thought it was safe, she ran to her grandma to enjoy some of the
tasty treats. Actually grandma thought the paper was just as good, and
munched on it as well.
Then back to the enclosure for more music.  Then back to the elephants to
watch Daisy eat her cake.  We actually missed this event as the time card
was wrong and we barely got back in time to see what was left.  But the
spectators said Daisy did not like the cake and refused to touch it.  Sounds
like Gab when she turned one.
Over all, the day was fun and the girl scouts had a great day!