[blparent] Michael update

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Sun Dec 5 03:23:08 UTC 2010

Still, if you can make changing time positive and interactive, what's better
than that?  Sarah often has a toy in her hands even now when I change her,
and she's two and a half, long past the rolling over stage.  I've always
made diaper time more pleasant with songs and nursery rhymes or, now that
she can talk, short conversations.  To my way of thinking, any time a moment
can be fun while you're getting something done, instead of a battle of wills
because you say no and have to enforce it, so much the better.  You'll have
a lot of instances when being the one in charge is important, but sometimes
a spoonful of sugar truly does help the medicine go down.

For example, I wanted Sarah to pick up her blocks off the kitchen floor
tonight.  It looked like she was going to be stubborn and refuse to do it.
I could have insisted that she do it because I told her to, and so on, but
instead I started asking her what color the blocks were as she dropped them
in the bag, and then I asked her to find a pink one and a white one and so
forth, so the job turned into a game.

Anyway, that's two bits worth of free advice.