[blparent] Birthday party fun!

Karla Hudson HudsonKC at msu.edu
Mon Dec 13 21:23:06 UTC 2010

Hi Allison,

Don't you just love all this birthday party stuff! Another challenge to sort
out. My husband and I are both blind so we toss a card as to who will attend
the event if we get invited from school. I have done the chucky cheese thing
and stayed with my daughter and did as others mentioned here by keeping
tokens as a system for collecting her if she wanders off. I have also gone
to the swim party and sat on the side of the pool and talked to other
parents. I have not yet had the bowling party experience. You must tell
yourself you did a lot to plan the party. Give yourself some credit.

As others have mentioned here I also have found using students from the
local university to be helpful. I pay them, explain the plan and they help
chase the kids. Everyone, sighted or blind can use extra hands at these
events. We had a party for our daughter who was seven with ten little girls
in the house. What a loud experience. I finally found my whistle and used it
often to get their attention. We did a treasure hunt, craft and games.
Again, you are the planner and having people to help move the kids around at
the event is a normal need. I have also used the student help at parties to
capture the event on film. If you used a high school student or college
student this would take some of the pressure off your boyfriend. Most
students need the money these days and helping with a kid party is pretty
fun and easy if all planned out ahead of time.

Karla Hudson