[blparent] News Article about the Tragedy

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Sat Dec 18 00:07:43 UTC 2010

Thanks. V

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Jo Elizabeth Pinto
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 2:25 PM
To: NFBnet Blind Parents Mailing List
Subject: [blparent] News Article about the Tragedy

Blind man killed when car slides into Littleton bus stop; two women injured
By Howard Pankratz
The Denver Post

Three blind adult students on their way to a holiday party were struck by a
car that slid on ice near a bus stop where the three were waiting. One died
from his injuries.

The man who died was identified this afternoon by the Arapahoe County
Coroner as David Nanney, who had been a student at the Colorado Center for
the Blind since June.

The accident occurred on the southeast corner of the intersection of West
Mineral Avenue and South Utica Drive.

Lt. Sean Dugan, spokesman for the Littleton Police Department, said that the
three adults were waiting to take a bus to the Colorado Center for the
Blind, 2233 W. Shepperd Ave., in Littleton.

Dugan said that ice on the street is believed to be the major contributing
factor to the driver losing control.

All three victims were transported to Littleton Adventist Hospital, Dugan
said.

Dugan said the driver, a 21-year-old woman, was traveling north on South
Utica Drive and was turning east on Mineral Avenue when she lost control of
her car and slammed into the bus stop hitting the people.

He said the three people hit lived near the bus stop along with a number of
other people who attend the Colorado Center for the Blind.

"The students and staff of the CCB are in great shock and grieving," said
Julie Deden, Executive Director of the CCB. "Our love, prayers, and
tremendous sorrow go out to the family and friends of the student we have
lost and we are praying hard for the two women still in the hospital."

The three were waiting for the bus to take them to school for a holiday
party, according to a release from CCB.

"At the Center, we are first and foremost a family and we will love and
support one another through this great tragedy which has struck us at a time
of year normally reserved for joy and celebration," Deden said in the
statement.

Grief counselors are at the school now. The names of the victims have not
been released.

Howard Pankratz: 303-954-1939 or hpankratz at denverpost.com