[blparent] Breast Pumps

Jessica Lucken pete1744 at umn.edu
Mon Feb 1 14:08:42 UTC 2010

Dena,

Where do you get a pumping band?

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Dena Wainwright
Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:33 PM
To: NFBnet Blind Parents Mailing List
Subject: Re: [blparent] Breast Pumps

Melissa.

I love my Ameda Purely Yours pump. It is a two-sided pump. I pumped
exclusively for 22 weeks, and it never broke down or had any mechanical
issues. I did buy extra parts for it so I wasn't constantly cleaning
collection bottles, valves, and tubes. My favorite things about it are that
you can adjust the power of the suction, as well as the number of sucks per
minute. I found this especially helpful, because I needed more pressure and
fewer sucks to pull my milk down, but once the let down happened, I was able

to increase the number of sucks to pump the milk out faster. I don't think
the Medella does this.

Another product I would suggest is something called a Pumping Band. It looks

like a fabric belt that wraps around your chest. It Velcros shut in the back

so it stays securely in place. On the front of it, there are two slits that
the valves of your breast pump slide through. Its purpose is to give you a
way to have your hands free while pumping. It never worked for me, because
of my breast shape, etc., but I have lots of friends who swear by it.

If you have any questions about either one, feel free to email me offlist
at:
dena at envogueaccess.com

Dena