[blparent] latching on?

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Sat Feb 6 23:56:52 UTC 2010

Lesly.

My best advice is find yourself a very good lactation consultant -
particularly one with experience working with premature babies. Find someone
who is willing to be flexible with feeding positions, as many of the
"standard" positions are not blind friendly. E.g., when I was first
breastfeeding Elise, I would have nurses say "OK, put this hand under your
breast, and this hand behind your baby's head..." I was like, "and which
hand would you like me to use to feel whether or not her mouth is on my
nipple properly?"

another thing that helps with keeping a hand free to check out what is going
on with your baby's mouth and nose (the nose can get smushed up against the
breast, so you need to check this) is a nursing pillow. this gives you a
supportive place to lay your baby so you don't have to worry about his head.

also, from what I know, the sucking reflex is one of the last ones to
develop, and given that he was born so early, he simply may not have the
ability to suck well yet. that's something an experienced lactation
consultant can educate you about (like when it should be fully developed). I
know people who had early babies, and they had to spend the first several
weeks using bottles or finger feeders.

I would also recommend that you ask your lactation consultant how to
gradually ween him off of the nipple shield. I used one with Elise, and,
frankly, it was a total pain in the ass! half the time, I couldn't get it to
stay on...and the other half of the time I was wondering where the heck I
had put it (sleep deprivation will do that to you). if your baby becomes
totally dependant on the shield, you won't be able to feed him without it.

finally, if you do end up having to only give him bottles, there is
absolutely nothing wrong with pumping. it is a lot more work than straight
breastfeeding or than only using formula, but I pumped exclusively for 22
weeks, and it was well worth it for the benefits it gave my baby. I would
have done it longer if my body had let me... both my husband and I got sick
last winter, and our daughter was absolutely fine. I'm convinced it was the
antibodies in my milk that protected her.

keep trying until you find someone you feel comfortable with. I wish I had
done this, as I think it would have saved me from pumping exclusively.

good luck,

Dena