[blparent] An Odyssey into Allergies

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Fri Feb 12 21:37:48 UTC 2010

I got this article from another group I belong to.  Thought I'd share. V

An Odyssey into Allergies
by Leanne Ely, C.N.C.

Nineteen years ago, when my daughter Caroline was about 9 months old (and I
was breastfeeding less and feeding food more) she began to get ear
infections.
Like a good mother, I bundled her up and trundled off to the pediatrician's
office. One magical prescription later, she was well.  At least for a while.
About two months later, she got sick again.  Once again we visit the
pediatrician's office, and leave with another prescription for antibiotics.
This cycle kept up for about 4 visits till I noticed a distinct pattern
emerging and the doctor started hinting about tubes and prophylactic doses
of antibiotics.
At this point, my baby has dark circles under her eyes, a constant runny
nose and an annoying little cough-none of which the pediatrician addressed.

I knew nothing except that I knew round after round of antibiotics wasn't
helping. I reached my limit after one particular visit. I was waiting for
the elevator with my sick child, my purse on my shoulder, the prescription
in my hand.  I was distraught.  I knew somehow that continuing antibiotics
wasn't going to make this go away.  As the elevator door opened, I crumbled
the prescription up in my hand and threw it away in the trash can next to
the elevator.
I had no idea what I was going to do next, but I wasn't going to do
something that clearly wasn't working.

Thus began my journey into wellness.  I read everything I could get my hands
on and became in my own pediatrician's vernacular, "a quack".  But my
quackery was working and my daughter was well.  Two years and another baby
later, I obtained my certification as a nutritionist and began helping other
moms discover the importance of taking a personal, vested interest into your
child's health and exploring other options besides medications, surgeries or
breathing treatments.
I had the pleasure of seeing one mom cancel a sinus surgery her daughter was
scheduled for, watched a few other children go off breathing treatments and
declared asthma free by their physicians, and saw countless potential tube
surgeries canceled.  All of these children had the same thing in common as
my
daughter: they were allergic to milk and the doctors never saw it.  Once off
milk, these kids' symptoms went away, their appearances improved and their
dispositions were cheerful and sunny again.

I have great respect for physicians, make no mistake about that.  Especially
doctors who are able to look beyond their own comfort zones, if you will,
and see the contribution that nutrition has on wellness or illness.  Some
experts have come to the conclusion that 6 out of 10 children are allergic
to milk protein. But there is more than just milk that could be the problem.
Read the next article for the symptoms and some resources to deal with this
issue.

00:35:00