[blparent] Out of the Mouths of Two-Year-Olds

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Thu Feb 18 04:05:02 UTC 2010

I took Sarah with me to an Ash Wednesday service held at our church.  I left red-faced and embarrassed, but now that I'm in the safety of my own home, I'm laughing--a little.

The trouble started when I gave Sarah a handful of crayons and a piece of paper, thinking that coloring would keep her quiet.  She started tossing the crayons around, and when I dived for one, my hand accidentally landed right between the legs of my neighbor on the couch.  Fortunately, she was a friend.  The crayon, however, hit the floor, and my guide dog decided it would be a good snack.  (I'm still waiting for the rainbow-colored puke.)  So there I was, reaching down her throat to snatch back what I could, and she was coughing, and my hand was dripping with dog slobber so that the aforementioned friend had to hand me a box of tissues.

I thought the worst was over.  Then, right in the middle of the Communion song--a soft, reflective piece of music, Sarah yelled out, "I'm pooping!  Poop out!  Potty out!"

For those of you whose children are not yet verbal, enjoy the peace and quiet!

Jo Elizabeth

Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunters.--African Proverb