[blparent] Diapers - Reuseable? Or, disposable?

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at pcdesk.net
Sat Feb 20 20:52:54 UTC 2010

There are cloth diapers that use Velcro.  Pins I wouldn't mess with--my
sighted father accidentally pinned a diaper to my brother when he was a
baby.  The pin went under a fold of skin and pulled out later, causing some
bleeding.  Now it's become one of those not-so-amusing family stories that
pops up from time to time, usually when my dad wants to get out of doing a
messy task with one of his grandchildren by pretending men are inept.

Usually, with cloth diapers, you would use a laundry service because it's a
lot of work, besides really difficult, to get the diapers clean enough at
home.  Then you have the question of whether the energy used to heat the
laundry water and the detergent are any better for the environment than
disposable diapers are.

One thing to remember about disposable diapers is that they have chemicals
in them to make them more absorbent.  My stepson Stephen did a home science
experiment a week or two ago that involved peeling apart a disposable diaper
and shaking out the powder that is layered between the cloth or paper
sheets.  The chemical, sodium polyacrylate, makes the diapers more absorbent
because it can soak up 100 or more times its weight in liquid.  Some kids
have allergic reactions to the chemicals, which occasionally seep through
the diaper onto the skin.  They may get diaper rashes, among other symptoms,
so you have to try different brands till you find one that doesn't bother
them.  I researched the chemical on the Internet, and there are all kinds of
"green" parents who will tell you that polyacrylate causes cancer,
neurological problems, and God knows what else.  Many other people seem to
think it is perfectly safe, and since it is also used in feminine hygiene
products, if it caused cancer, there would be a lot more of the disease out
there.  I was kind of disturbed and unsure, reading all the stuff about the
chemical, but Sarah will be out of diapers fairly soon.  I didn't see a good
enough reason to change our routine now and stop the exposure to the
chemical, but I'll always wonder a little if I might have put my baby in
harm's way without knowing it.  Like I said, it's a personal decision.

Oh, one other thing, the Loves brand of diapers were terrible for us because
of leaking.  I would advise not stocking up on any single brand before your
baby is born because you might have to try different ones to find the best
fit.

Jo Elizabeth

Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always glorify
the hunters.--African Proverb