[blparent] Making your own baby food?

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 17:21:47 UTC 2010

It has a mesh bag that you can put fresh fruit or veggie in, and they child
can hold on to it and chew on the mesh.  That way they get all the food out
of it without getting any large pieces that they might choke on.  It's
excellent for teething, for fine motor skills and a sense of independence.
My girls both loved it.  I just soaked the mesh in some water and dish soap
and then turned it inside out and scrubbed it.  It always came clean for me.
It can also go in the dishwasher on the top rack.
I also used the food dispensing spoon with Kaelyn, and that was amazing.  No
mess of scooping food out of a bowl, because I found that most of the mess
came from the bottom of the spoon, or the spoon being over filled.  With the
Boone spoon, you can use just one finger to see how much you are squeezing
onto the spoon, so your hands don't get so messy.  Since you have to use
your hands to know where the baby is a lot of the time to get it into their
mouth, that helps a lot.  When I went to Dallas when Kaelyn was 7 months
old, I just filled the spoon with pureed avocado, which she really liked,
and I kept that in a cooler on the way there (it passed through security
just fine in a plastic bag), and then I kept it in the fridge in our room.
Since you're not scooping anything out of it you're not adding bacteria to
it, so you can save the food in it.  I'm a traveling mom so I loved it.  I
just bought all travel stuff for my sister in law for her shower this
weekend.  I got her the spoon, some sippy grips to attach cups to the
stroller, wipes for baby's hands and face, a California Baby gift set and
the Take and Toss variety pack from First Years.  I would have gotten her
the Bibsters (disposable bibs) and Place Mats that stick to the table but
Target didn't have them in stock online.  We travel all the time, and I use
all of these things.
Leanne