[blparent] Tips on Baby/child proofing your home

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Tue Feb 23 14:32:08 UTC 2010

We went pretty low tech as far as baby proofing is concerned.  We bought
plastic outlet covers for every outlet, and a gate for the top of the
stairs.  We were lucky because we have French doors so we were able to close
off different rooms of the house downstairs when Austin was small.  We also
got child locks for our lower cabinets and drawers.  Some of them did not
need any screws to install.  Others did, and my husband was able to put them
in by himself.  I'm lucky he's handy like that!  If you or your husband are
not handy you could get a friend or handyman person to install them; it
shouldn't take too long unless you have tons of drawers and cabinets.  As
for the bathroom, we just keep the door shut, which worked for a long time.
Avoid any wobbly furniture your child could try to climb on.  We also kept
our garbage can up on a counter for a while because Austin liked to get into
it.  The other thing is to keep all small or dangerous objects out of reach.
I hope this helps.  There are certainly tons of child proofing options; it
will depend some on your particular child what you need and what you don't.
Some kids are just more curious and rougher on objects than others.
Melissa