[blparent] Travel agent discussion continued

Karla Hudson HudsonKC at msu.edu
Mon Jan 11 19:15:24 UTC 2010

Hi Group,

I do not think we need to get combative over this discussion.  I do know
that when I went to Mexico with my husband we used a regular agent for that
purpose.  We had a great time.  However, traveling with kids can be an
entirely different situation.  Therefore, putting my vacation to chance is
not as exciting to me.  I would want to have a clear picture about the
experience.  Do the staff have experience with persons with disabilities?
Do they have routine trainings at Disney regarding assisting a person with a
disability at their theme park.  I am in no way expecting hand holding from
anyone.  However, if I were to put down a load of money on a possible one
time vacation I would want to be certain the experience is going to be
positive for my family blind or not.  As with any product I read the reviews
before I purchase and try to decide how the product will work given my
situation.

I am a preplanner by nature and want to make certain all aspects are put in
place.  Just a side note as well.  About 17 years ago my husband, myself and
my sister who happens to be blind decided to go see the Queen Mary outside
of Long beach.  We did not plan ahead and just went on a whim.  Keep in mind
that the Queen Mary at that time was owned by Disney.  We paid the admission
and did ask the front desk ticket person if the Queen Mary had a Braille map
or any recorded device we might take with us on our tour.  The staff did not
have such an accommodation.  Well, being the adventurous types we decided to
try touring the ship on our own.  We got very little out of the experience
as much of the ship was roped off in areas where they only wanted people to
look with their eyes and not touch.  When we attempted to ask staff
questions we found English as a second language barriers along with staff
that indicated that if we could not manage by ourselves than we should not
be on the ship.  After a very disappointing experience we spoke with the
supervisor of this Disney facility.  He did apologize for the staffs
disinterest in making the experience more fun and gave us our money back.

So after that wild time I have made a commitment to myself to be more
certain about my plans especially with Disney involved.

Cheryl were you able to independently travel and get reliable assistance
from the staff at Disney? Do you have contact with a person who understands
the parks accommodations.  Is there accessible signage at the facility?  For
example, brailed signs around the park.

Again, I hope you do not feel as though we are attacking you we just need to
understand the extras you might bring us over any agent.

Thanks for your help.

Karla