[blparent] Choosing Your Battles with Your Children

Rhonda Scott earthmagic7 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 14 21:08:33 UTC 2010

These are great ideas, Leanne and I thank you.

Unfortunately, we do not belong to a church. I think I am the only person in
our household who is open to choosing one. But perhaps there are community
activities we can tap into. That will take some research. One thing recently
is basketball tryouts after school for the next couple of weeks, then he
will find out if he made the team. So we will have that to take away if his
behaviors become major issues. He's very excited to be allowed to try out. I
agree with you that he is tired of being punished and scolded by the same
people. He has a teacher at school he looks up to, and he has a counselor
who is relatively new, but who he is beginning to ask about in terms of when
he will see her again. I think these are good signs.

My husband backs me up completely. If we have minor disagreements, we talk
about them privately. It has just come to the point for me that I don't know
of a punishment that will have any impact on Deven repeating the action in
the future. Deven requires a fair amount of attention, and he will seek
negative attention if he feels he is not getting enough positive attention.
During the week when both Steve and I work 10 hour days, it's hard on Deven
because he needs to entertain and amuse himself. Like Mason, he has a ton of
pent up energy that gets him in trouble at times.

But at any rate, I think those of you who shared that activities outside the
home would do wonders are absolutely right. We get nervous that he might get
angry over something and have an episode in a group setting with lots of
other children, but that would just mean he would have to miss out as his
punishment.

Oh, and homework will be an issue here as well. The difference is, Deven is
going into Resource, and not turning his in will not count against him at
this time. We're very proud that he's making the transition from a self
contained classroom to the Resource room. I just want to somehow encourage
him to care about meeting his learning goals, and not think how cool it is
when he learns he doesn't really have to do the work assigned.

Rhonda