[blparent] questions

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Sat Jan 30 00:42:46 UTC 2010

there are 30 CCs in an ounce. So, if they tell you to give him 20 CCs,
you'll be giving him two thirds of an ounce. In terms of measuring, you can
get very small bottles (like 2 and 3 ounce sizes). The very top line on the
bottle is the maximum measurement. So, if you have a 3 ounce bottle, the top
line is 3 ounces. Some bottles have tactile lines on them. E.g., I know the
Dr. Browns bottles do.

You can use a small funnel to pour in the milk or formula. Also, if you're
using formula, you can buy premade formula in quantities as small as 2
ounces, so obviously, if he drinks all of it, he'll be drinking 2
ounces...half of it, and he'll be drinking 1 ounce, etc...

It didn't take me long before I could literally measure the number of ounces
in a bottle just by holding it in my hand. I was accurate down to the half
ounce. I know half an ounce is a lot right now, but when he's taking in 2-4
ounces a feeding, that method can work OK. You can also get syringes that
hold very small amounts (like a half to a full ounce). You can use those
initially with a finger feeder to get the milk into him. We used a finger
feeder with Elise initially to prevent nipple confusion, but abandoned that
when I began pumping exclusively.

You won't necessarily need to supplement. Obviously, if he's not gaining
weight quickly enough, or if you have supply issues, then supplementing will
be necessary, but you can do a lot to up your supply. My best advice is
pump, pump, pump. The more you demand milk from your body, the more it will
hopefully make. Initially, you don't get much. I hardly misted the bottom of
the collection bottle at the beginning, but at the height of my pumping
experience, I could get a full collection bottle per side.

Speaking of pumping, the other suggestion I have is, if you don't have a
really good pump, I would seriously consider renting or buying one. The best
brands, from what I've researched and heard, and from my own experience are
Medella and Ameda. I had an Ameda and loved it.

Regarding the nurse's questions, I know she's concerned about your ability
to care for your baby, but I would make sure the questions are being asked
respectfully, and from the point of view of genuine curiosity, and not from
the standpoint of "I'm going to grill you, and if you don't answer all of my
questions the way I want you to, I'm going to call CPS." All new mothers
(sighted or not) know very little about the day to day care of an infant.
Before I had Elise, I had never changed a baby's diaper. I was fortunate,
because my nursing staff was amazing, and allowed me to ask questions
comfortably. When Elise was a day old, I said to my nurse "I think she needs
to be changed, but I don't really know how to do it. Will you show me how to
do it properly?" She guided me through the process the first few times, and
then watched me do it alone a few more times, and by the time we left the
hospital, I felt much better about it. I don't think the issue is whether or
not you know everything; it's about whether or not you're willing to learn
what you need to effectively care for your child. Because he is a premature
baby, you will need to learn things about caring for a baby that many of us
never did. Because my baby had reflux and colic, I now know more about both
of those issues than I ever hoped to.

You will make mistakes. Every single one of us on this list has. Every
single sighted parent I know has, too. It's just a part of parenthood. All
you can do is to do the best you can every day. There will be great days,
where you feel like you've got this parenting thing down to a science, and
other days when you will wonder how you were able to convince anyone to let
you leave the hospital with this defenseless creature. It is the most
challenging (and the most rewarding) job you will ever do.

Dena