[blparent] A disturbing situation

Karla Hudson HudsonKC at msu.edu
Fri Jul 2 18:39:01 UTC 2010

The more I hear of this baby being removed from her parents so soon I become
more and more angry. I almost felt as though I had a similar situation with
my first child. Thank goodness for my doula and friends strength that got my
husband and I through the annoying ignorant hospital staffs hoops. You know
I have friends who are both blind who raised ten children. They are now 89
and 90. The courts should consult with this couple to find out if it is
possible to raise children when you are blind. We see so much on the news
about drug and alcoholic parents and hearing that these people are being
restricted access to their child because they are blind just makes you feel
sick. The parents have missed the important bonding stage and no doubt has
missed the option to nurse the baby. This list should send an address where
donations can be made for the legal costs. I hope the hospital is taken for
a huge amount of money. The emotional drain on the parents has to be
enormous. The media should be involved here as well. If these parents are
just on the scale of everyday people who happen to be blind then the baby
should be back with them now. Can the NFB get some media attention for this
story? There should be pressure on the CPS in their state and the person who
made this decision should lose their job.