[blparent] Guide dogs and little ones.

Joy Wolf joy at kevinlwolf.net
Mon Mar 8 02:13:11 UTC 2010

Hi everyone:

I believe Sharon had asked me to share my experiences about having a guide
dog and a baby and so I thought I'd try to do that now.  I'm not sure the
nature of the previous discussions, so I'll just share my experiences and
then anyone can ask if I left something out.  I'll try to make a long story
short, but no promises, lol.

Let me first tell you that I have had guide dogs now for almost 22 years.
My first I received on the day that was supposed to be for my high school
graduation, and I must say I have no regrets about trading that ceremony for
the benefits of a guide.  As long as I still got my diploma I didn't much
care about walking on stage for my graduation, lol.  Anyway, before my
daughter was born, I had a Lab guide named Houston.  He was one of the best
guides I've ever had.  He was also crazy, lol.  Yes, you read that right.
He was an extreme city dog who needed constant activity, and if he wasn't
working he was playing just as hard.  As I got more and more pregnant and
realized just what this new baby was going to mean for my previously crazy
lifestyle, I realized the best thing to do would be to send Houston back to
be placed with a more active person who could benefit from his craziness, so
to speak, lol.  It was heartbreaking, but I knew it was best for the dog,
and in the end, best for me.  So, when Kayla was born I did not have a dog.
I tried talking with the school about getting a calmer dog right after Kayla
was born, and was furious that they said I should wait.  They knew more than
I did, lol, and I'm sure I don't have to explain the exhaustion, sleepless
nights, and constant need to care for my little girl.  I think getting a new
dog right then would have been a huge mistake.

When Kayla was almost two years old I decided the time was right, and got
Delia, a wonderful Lab Golden cross.  I won't lie to any of you, it was
hard.  I had the toddler who wanted to walk everywhere, the dog who walked
much faster than the toddler, and the need to balance out the needs of both.
At home, it was very nice to have a dog around, and I didn't find it too
much of a struggle to meet human and canine needs at home.  But when we went
out, I always felt like I needed just one more pair of hands to do
everything I needed to do.  Despite the challenges, it was well worth it.
Delia became a quick pro at helping me as I maneuvered a stroller.  She got
so used to me pulling Kayla behind me that if I got the stroller caught on
something, I didn't have to say anything to her directly.  She learned what
"oops" and "ouch" and "uh oh" meant,a nd would always stop to let me get out
of whatever mess I had gotten us into.

By the time my son came along, I had been working with Delia for two years.
The biggest challenge then was my recovery.  I had c sections with both
kids, and couldn't even take Delia out to relieve for a while because it
hurt so bad if she even slightly pulled on me.  I had to remember to do
extra obedience routines with her in the house, and keep her mind occupied
with little games and new tricks, while I juggled the three-year-old and the
infant.  Again, it was a challenge that was well worth it for me.  Delia
retired when Jaden was 2 years old.  It was an early retirement, brough on
mostly by the added stress of having two young kids to deal with.  Despite
the fact Delia was great with my kids, she didn't like kids much, lol.  So,
as the kids got older and I started taking them places like pre-school and
the playground and children's museum, where there were a lot of other kids,
well, she got stressed.  Lol, for that matter, some days so did I.  I
decided that I still wanted to apply for another dog, but that I needed one
who was truly into kids and didn't get flustered by them.  Galette, my
current guide, has been with me for two years.  I joke that she loves kids
much more than she does me, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  My
lifestyle is much different than it was when I got Houston, and I certainly
need a very different type of dog.  For me, though, it has been well worth
the challenges that I have faced in order to have it all, so to speak.

Now that I've rambled on and told you my long story, and that I think it was
worth every challenge, I will say that I absolutely don't think having a
guide and a baby or even toddler is for everyone.  I think that it's one
thing to already have a guide when the new baby arrives, and quite another
to get a new dog with a new baby in the house.  There is so much to learn
with a new dog, and with a new baby for that matter, and there just aren't
enough hours in the day.  I also think there's a big difference between a
first time handler getting a dog and having young children at home, versus a
person who has had a guide before and knows what they're getting into, lol.
I do know of people who have gotten their first dog right around the time of
a new baby, but honestly don't know how they did it.  If you already have
the dog it's easy to just teach that dog to incorporate the new family
member into the picture.  Or, if the child is a bit older and you get a new
guide, that guide comes in and immediately must adapt to the child.  But
it's something different when you're talking about adapting to a baby or
toddler.  They're just different creatures, babies and toddlers, lol.  Also,
there is something to be said for the logistics and needing that extra set
of hands.  This is true when you're carrying a cane, but more so when you're
responsible for a dog.  If anyone asks me about getting a dog and having a
child or children, I always am very adamant that they need to let the chosen
guide dog program know exactly what they need in a dog.  It's ok to be
picky, and even more so when you have kids in the family.  Ok, I think I'm
done rambling for now, and if anyone read through my obnoxiously long post,
thanks for reading.  I tried to paint a very honest picture at least from my
experience, and hope it helps.  If anyone has any other questions don't
hesitate to ask. Take care everyone.

Joy and family