[blparent] Photos needed

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Thu Mar 4 13:52:29 UTC 2010

Dear Friends,

I have just subscribed to this list because I am working on the pamphlet
about blind parents aimed at social work and legal professionals. I am in
need of photos to illustrate the points being made. If you have or can have
taken high-resolution photos as described below, please send them to me at
bpierce at nfb.org. We have lots of photos of sighted parents with blind
children, but our national collection is woefully lacking in shots of blind
parents working with their kids. Photos should have an uncomplicated
background-a wall, a yard without bikes, trash cans, etc., or anything else
that will distract the eye. It would be good to use natural or room lighting
rather than a flash, but the light source should not be behind the subjects.
The ideal thing would be digital photos rather than prints that we would
have to scan to use, but these will work. What will not work is cell phone
photos or newspaper photos. Here are the sorts of things I am looking for:

A toddler with bells on shoes or clothing or a parent putting such a shoe on
a young child

A parent feeding a baby in a highchair using a spoon and guiding the spoon
to the child's mouth with the other hand. This could be tricky since I would
prefer not to have carrots or prunes coating everyone and everything.

A parent reading a Braille book to a child or children

A parent helping a child to master a skill like bike riding or skating

I hope these ideas give the flavor of what we are looking for. I am not
wedded to any of these shots, but they are the sort of thing that will
illustrate blind parents in charge of the situation with kids.

I really hope that you all will take this request seriously. The text of
this document is very good, but the photos will keep the interest of the
target audience and will support what we are saying. My inclination is not
to identify the people in the photos, just to explain what is going on, in
case privacy is a concern.

Thanks,

Barbara

Barbara Pierce