[blparent] Introduction.

Joy Wolf joy at kevinlwolf.net
Tue Mar 9 14:15:05 UTC 2010

Elizabeth:

You're right, and I think people do jump to conclusions.  On the flip side
of that, though, I worked with kids who actually had been abused and
neglected.  It becomes something so close to you as you try to help these
children find the hope and help they need that it actually makes sense that
some of the professionals would get carried away.  As a mandated reporter I
can not even tell you the number of times that I know, without a doubt, that
something suspicious was going on and yet when I reported it nothing was
done.  So, in a sense, I would rather people be more concerned than not at
all.  Yet, you are absolutely right and sometimes it is taken way too far.
What bothers me is when a child gets taken or the threat of placement is
made, and then the protective services ignore the true evidence.  I had a
friend whose child had the same condition as Kayla.  Her little boy was
taken, and despite numerous fractures in the foster home and a clinical
diagnoisis, the child was not returned for almost another year! It was
devastating, and the time was spent on a case that should have been dropped
long before, time that could have been well spent investigating reports that
were legitimate.  It's a tough situation, that's for sure.
Joy and family