[blparent] question of feeding a newborn

Michael Baldwin mbaldwin at gpcom.net
Wed Mar 17 14:18:21 UTC 2010

I have been through this, so I know exactly what your going through.  Sadie,
would not take a bottle for me at all, there were days when mommy was at
work, she didn't eat, cause she would not take the bottle.  We tried several
different nipples and different types of bottles.  Then we figured out that
mommies milk flowed very easy, so we tried a stage 2 nipple, and that
actually seemed to do the trick.  The stage 2 flows faster and is easier for
the baby to get fluid out of.  They are usually reserved for 6 months to a
year, I think.  Sometimes the flow was a bit much, and leaked out around her
mouth, but at least she was drinking now.  If your not, I would also
recommend warming up the milk, and the nipple.  Don't use a microwave, just
run hot water over the bottle, or bag until it is the right temp or so,
shake good to mix the milk, and to make sure there are no hot or cold spots
in it.  Wrap the baby in one of mommy's shirts so the baby can smell mommy,
this will help reassure and relax her.  Hold her like mommy does, and put
the bottle under your arm, this more closely simulates mommy feeding her.  I
would never recommend mommy pump and all feeds are done through the bottle.
Mommy and baby need their bonding time, and pumping is not the same as a
baby suckling, I don't care how good of a pump it is, and mommy's supply
will definitely start to suffer.  Even if she does not eat for you during
the day, trust me, she will get enough to eat.  The night feedings will
increase, and the baby will start getting their days and nights backwards,
which has its own frustrations.

You need to be relaxed to, this is bonding time for you and your baby as
well.  The baby can pick up on it when your not relaxed, and that can make
things worse.

Michael Baldwin
Got print, need Braille?
http://www.ReadWithDots.com