[blparent] activities that can be done with children

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Sat Mar 27 15:26:09 UTC 2010

where do you live? some states have classes for kids that are done on a
sliding scale? do you have a moms club near you? that's a great way to meet
other kids. I've spoken with my pediatrician about the need for
socialization. she said that, until about the age of 2, a couple of
playdates or classes a week is enough. then, the need increases, as this is
when they begin to actually want to play with other kids, as opposed to just
watching them and playing near them. I think it's great that you want to
socialize her, I'm just not sure daycare is important yet. when you do
daycare, will you do a part time situation? what about swimming lessons
(you're in the water with her)?
I agree that vocabulary is very important at this age. my daughter is 18
months old, and she speaks more than 20 words already, where many of the
moms I know with kids of similar ages say their kids don't really talk at
all.
television time at this age should be extremely minimal. many studies
indicate that television at all before the age of 2 is actually more
damaging than helpful.
other ideas are to find a near-by park. those places are kid magnets in
summer, and you may very well meet other kids there. also, if you have a
church, daycare, etc. near by, you could post an ad saying something like
"my 14 month old daughter is looking for kids of similar ages to have
playdates with..."

Dena