[blparent] challenges with dressing an infant

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Sat May 1 19:50:55 UTC 2010

Part of it depends on how much practice one has had in their life.  For
those of you who had little to no experience, this stuff was or is mind
boggling.  Some of us have had all kinds of experience so have no problem
with any of it.
Sighted or blind, we just have to remember to be patient with those who've
not had the experience.  Everyone leads a different life.  Some of us come
from the womb chomping at the bit to take care of children and some of us
get the idea when we meet our mate.
It's not because you're blind that you can't do this, Scott, and get
frustrated.  It's probably because you never had the chance to learn it.
I helped a grandma, who was used to dealing with her grandkids, get the baby
out of the carseat.  She's not blind, she just had little experience with
those crazy things.  I can change diapers faster than anyone I've worked
with in the nursery at church because I've had all kinds of experience doing
it.
Do your best and don't complain and all will get better.  Scott, maybe you
could, instead of complaining to Cindy, tell Leah how hard this is to do but
the two of you will figure it out.
Babies are never too young to start using the words you'll use when they're
older.  You can tell her to hold still--just know she won't obey.  When she
does accidently do it, tell her that she was good and that made it so much
easier to do it.
I'll get off my soapbox now.
Barbara

A Congress that will always do its work in the dark must have something to
hide.  The people have spoken, yet they do not listen.