[blparent] any thoughts on potty training.

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Sat May 1 22:53:58 UTC 2010

Thank God for grandma's. v

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Julie J
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2010 6:59 AM
To: NFBnet Blind Parents Mailing List
Subject: Re: [blparent] any thoughts on potty training.

My .02 on potty training.  It's been a while for me, but I still remember
the frustration.  Also I have a boy and I think that makes a difference.

I tried everything under the sun I could think of.  We read books from the
library.  We sang songs to make the experience fun and happy.  I gave out
stickers, candy and other briberies.  I had his Dad demonstrate the
procedure.  I let Kiddo pick out a potty seat that he liked.  I tried
getting all excited and making a big deal of big boy underwear.  I tried
having him try every hour. Seriously I tried every suggestion.

I asked the pediatrician about it.  She said, "Don't worry about it.  Kids
will potty train themselves when they are ready.  I haven't had any kids go
to kindergarten still in diapers."  I tried very hard to wait until he was
ready.  But kindergarten kept getting closer and closer.

Then he spent a week with Grandma and like magic he was potty trained when
he got home.  To her credit my mother is a preschool teacher and very good
with kids.

I really think what it came down to is that he really didn't care whether or

not he was wet and he didn't care that this was important to me.  He did
care that it was important to Grandma.

So there is my story at how I failed at potty training!  I hope it helps
someone else feel a little less like a parenting failure.
Julie
P.S.  I did just think of one method I didn't try...the no pants at all
method.  The thought of cleaning carpets was horrifying.

nn.net