[blparent] challenges with dressing an infant

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Sun May 2 12:09:59 UTC 2010

Hi.
I agree with much of what has been said. I do the thing where I put her feet
through the bottoms of her pants, then pick her up and kind of drape her
over my shoulder to pull them the rest of the way up. It really helps to let
gravity to some of the work for you.
I also do up the buttons on the backs of her shirts this way, as it gives me
an opportunity to use both hands fasten them up, rather than having to use
one hand to prop her up.
Also, keep in mind that summer is coming, so you'll be able to use a lot of
onesies when the weather is warm. With onesies, I usually put them over her
head, put the arms in the sleaves, and then do the snaps up last.
Sitting the baby on your lap to do some of the dressing also helps. I do
this with things like jackets that either button or zip up the front, with
socks, and with shoes. I put her back against my stomach, so, again, I can
use both hands to dress her while my body and arms keep her upright.
Talking to the baby and giving her toys to distract her is also very
helpful. Sometimes, the "toy" can be something as simple as a comb or the
pair of pants you just took off, but they often are easier to manage when
they're playing with something else.
Finally, I'd suggest trying to avoid doing major changes (like putting on a
whole new outfit) when she's especially tired/hungry. They are far less
patient when they need to eat or sleep, and that makes everything much worse
for the person doing the changing.
I'd like to tell you it will all get easier, but it does and it doesn't.
Around 7 or so months of age, babies get into this phase where they hate
having their diapers changed. I think it's because they've become more
mobile, and don't want to be forced to sit still. They scream and fight like
you're trying to pour poison down their throats, and every diaper change is
a total pain. I started changing Elise on the floor at that time, because I
was afraid she'd flip herself right off her changing table.
However, in another way, it does get easier, because as the child gets
older, they want to help you get them dressed. Elise will push her arms
through the sleaves of her shirts, will pull her shirts over her head when I
take them off, will sit on my lap herself when I tell her it's time to put
on her shoes and socks, etc.
It really does get easier over time, but it's mainly because of the
practice.
Dena