[blparent] need urgent help

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Wed May 26 19:03:08 UTC 2010

Dear Rebecca,

In 2009 the NFB of Maryland helped get a bill passed in that state which
makes it illegal to use blindness as a reason to remove a child from its
parents' custody.  In other words, blindness alone cannot be used in custody
disputes around divorce or in cases brought to the attention of CPS.
Illinois is currently drafting a similar piece of legislation, and I believe
there are initiatives in other states as well.  One issue we face is the
difficulty getting information about discrimination cases when they occur.
Due to confidentiality concerns it is hard to gather information.  Many
parents choose not to go public with their stories because the whole
experience is so traumatic and humiliating that they want to put it behind
them.

Debbie