[blparent] What's your Opinion of spanking

Brandy W branlw at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 15 09:00:37 UTC 2010

OK yes we spank. I was spanked too as a child and I feel it was also over
used and not done in the right way. As I've cared for literally hundreds of
children I think it is 1 tool in my box. When I spank however I stay calm.
The child knows they are loved. It would go something like this. Child is
given a consequence for a behavior. The child is then told if this happens
again you will have disobeyed and you will get a spanking. Then the child
does it again. I calmly say what did I say would happen if you did that
again. The child is made to say I would get a spanking. I then calmly pull
them over my lap or over a bed and give them the number of smacks for their
age. Good firm smacks with my hand. I never yell or get angry. I'm not angry
with the child, but providing a consequence for the poor behavior. The only
time I will not have given the child a warning ahead of time is in a case of
danger, and then shock value is in order. In my house hurting another, or
lying are absolutely never tolerated along with directly disobeying me. The
children in my care with parent permission plus family know that if you are
told not to do something and you do it immediately that you are probably
going to get spanked because we obey adults. Like I said it is not the only
tool, it is never  done with anger, and the child is always reminded they
are loved, but blank was not ok. If a child has consistent behavior
expectations and one follows through with your threats you won't need to
spank much. However when I do choose to spank I spank. It is not abuse no
marks, but it does hurt. It must be miserable enough that they do not want
to do it again or you are spanking for no good reason.

That is my theory.

Bran

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you
learn, the more places you'll go." -- Dr. Seuss
Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Educational Consultant and Team Leader
www.playtoachieve.com
Phone: 512) 689-5045
Ask me about:
*How you can do what I do and earn money sharing educational toys with the
ones you love,
*How to earn free Discovery Toys products while having fun with friends,
Order a gift basket for any age