[blparent] What's your Opinion of spanking

Leanne Merren leemer02 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 18:34:38 UTC 2010

When I was attending MOP's (Mothers of Preschoolers), I observed several
parents with toddlers throwing tantrums, and it seemed like the other
parents usually either kept their distance, or asked what they could do to
help.  My experience is, with me, it's almost like they want to take over
with my child instead of asking how they can help.  I'm sure they probably
mean well, but they go about it in the wrong way and it is very frustrating.
This isn't to say that it never happens to sighted parents, but I think it
seems to happen more to the parents who don't seem quite as confident in
what they're doing to handle the situation.  Although I feel confident in
handling my child, I may be a little concerned about whether my child might
try to run from me, or do something I'm not prepared for, and maybe that
makes me falter a bit?  So I think if we can try to show confidence, and,
like Debbie said, maintain control of the situation, people will back off.
Leanne