[blparent] the books

Jan Wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 19:45:52 UTC 2010

Eric,
when you read the book, you will find that it is not confrontational towards professionals.
Also, our Indiana parents are offering the book to these professionals with a:
"we would love to come and talk to your agency about being a blind parent," approach.
some agencies have "learning lunches," or "in service days," or time for presentations.
We have not scheduled a presentation yet.
But, at our convention in October, we talked about it and are planning to do an awareness campaign whereby a few (or pannel) of parents get together to do presentations and such.
We have even decided to target social work schools (maybe a presentation  to the Child Welfare class) and the Attorneys in a "family law class."
If you present it as if:
you have some information that will be useful to them.
It will broaden their knowledge
and you can also be a resource for any other blind parent that they encounter,
then, you aren't being confrontational at all.
And, the book is straight forward and respectful of professionals.
Jan