[blparent] thanks for all the kind welcomes

Tara Briggs tarabriggs at utah.gov
Fri Oct 1 15:38:37 UTC 2010

Hi all, I want to thank you for all your kind welcomes to the list. I'll tell you all a little more about myself and I have a few questions.
I work at the Center for the Blind in Salt Lake City Utah. My husband works in Provo Utah at Brigham Young University. His job is 25 hours a week and we are hoping that it will go full-time when the hiring freeze lifts. Tyler is a quadriplegic. Like blindness, this disability has varying degrees. He needs help to bathe, dress, use the bathroom and eat. He has a little bit of movement in his hands and so he can, for example, feed himself a bowl of cereal. However, eating something like steak and potatoes requires help. It has been fun to learn how to accommodate each others disabilities. Tyler is fully sighted and it always amuses me when a waiter tries to hand both of us Braille menus.  As I said in my earlier message we would like to have a family. Do any of you know a couple in a similar situation to ours? What advice have any of you given to a blind person who wants to be a parent? I have a black lab Seeing Eye dog named Emmy. Our any of you guide dog users? If so, what advice do you have for a new parent who is a dog guide user? Thanks so much
Tara Briggs