[blparent] First Questions About Blindness

Pickrell, Rebecca M (TASC) REBECCA.PICKRELL at tasc.com
Thu Oct 14 12:13:28 UTC 2010

Mine wanted to know if my eyes needed new batteries and then why our
various relatives who are good at fixing things couldn't fix them. Then
she wanted to know why the doctor couldn't and I told her the truth,
that they don't know how yet, that nobody does. She said she wanted
tolearn how, to which my response was "you can do that"
My rationale is that we all have things that motivate us. If she wants
to use "fixing Mommy's eyes" as inspiration, what's wrong with that.
I also told her that my eyes didn't hurt and that seemed to give her
some peace.
I'd just stick with the truth, because if you don't, it will bite you in
the butt later. Also, kids tend to hear what they want
Jo Elizabeth, I'd just tell your kid whatever your truth is and leave it
at that. She'll let you know when she needs or wants more information.
As for your facial expression and your sister, either your facial
expressions are a problem, in which you need to learn how to fix them,
or your sister is superficial. Figure out which it is and then you'll
know what you need to do.