[blparent] Childproofing Recommendations?

Dena Wainwright dena at envogueaccess.com
Fri Oct 15 23:11:07 UTC 2010

My favorite pressure mounted gates are by North State Industries. We love
them. They magnetically close, are hard to open because they require 2
motions at the same time, are strong, and were very easy for my
non-handy-man husband to install. The child locks have honestly been a total
waste of money. I use hair ties, those locking straps with sticky backs (in
certain places), and the very occasional child lock. The locks tend not to
stay shut if the door shifts easily. The best advice I can give you is if it
is within your child's reach, it shouldn't be dangerous. All child proofing
mechanisms are prone to error. We have a big container (like a Rubber Made).
It has a pad lock on it, and it keeps all the dangerous chemicals in the
house. We changed door knobs on the more dangerous rooms of our house
(maintenance room with hot water heater, exercise area with equipment) and
replaced them with knobs with locks. We have also just restricted certain
areas of the house, because they are not possible to baby proof. E.g., the
office. You can't baby proof a printer or computer, no matter how hard you
try. My other piece of advice would be to have at least one totally baby
proofed area in your home. This is a room where it is absolutely impossible
for your child to damage himself: everything locked down, bolted to walls,
padded, etc. There are times when you absolutely need a safe place to leave
your child for a few minutes without supervision. If you don't have this,
you'll likely lose your mind. Also, a lot of what you'll need to do will
depend on the personality of your child. Our daughter is a climber, so we
have to do things that other parents without climbers might not have to do.
Conversely, she has no interest in playing with outlets (thus far), so we
haven't had to do as much with cords and plugs as someone else might.

Dena