[blparent] Childproofing recommendations?

Miranda knownoflove at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 09:56:49 UTC 2010

Hi Robert,
Our agency expects us to utilize childproof locks themselves. There are licensing requirements set forth by our state government, and we need to follow those as well. It's just as if we were to run a home-based daycare facility. Although I stated that our agency mainly wants general safety percaussions put in to place, they expect that we wouldn't find secondary ways to create this safe environment.

Keep in mind that we will be dealing with children who have gone through a great amount of trauma. So, they may exhibit anger at the smallest thing (not being able to get in to a cabinet), but the issue behind that anger is more deep rooted. These children also exhibit behaviors that a child who hasn't gone through such trauma may not exhibit. Although tying the cabenits together may work for a natural-born child, it is not normal to have the state government and other agencies/social workers telling you by what standards you would need to childproof your home.
I hope this helps you to understand why this method would not be suitable for foster care licensing.
Thanks for asking, and have a great week!

In Christ, Miranda