[blparent] feeding issue

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Mon Oct 18 21:16:39 UTC 2010

If you use the same kind of spoon all the time, the type of spoon is not
your problem.  It sounds like he's just unfamiliar with your way of doing
things.  If he's fussing and refusing to eat, it's probably not worth the
fight--then eating is no fun.  Maybe try touching his mouth a lot when you
play so he gets used to feeling you do that.  Touch his mouth and tell him,
"it looks like you're smiling" or "you're mouth is open so wide and what's
the sound?  You must be sad".  I would try introducing foods that could be
finger foods and before he figures out he can feed himself use them for
"rewards" for taking bites from the spoon you're offering.  If he's refusing
to eat every meal, just try every half hour or hour.  Let him know that you
are determined to win this battle.  If you can't stay calm, don't try it.
If he uses a pacifier, you could also play a game of taking the pacifier and
giving it back that way you're still doing the same thin--putting in using
your hand as your guide.  Make you putting things in his mouth the coolest
thing.
If he's just jerking away and the fussing hasn't started, just keep your
hand at his mouth so you know where you're going.
If you think it's a battle of wills, always be the one to decide he's done.
So if he starts fussing tell him you're going to give one more bite and then
he can be done.  At this point, that bite may just be touching his mouth
with the spoon.
Barbara

Yesterday is
A path well-trod,