[blparent] feeding issue

Jan Wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 21:35:39 UTC 2010

Hi,
I always fed my children facing away from me.
What worked for me:
sit my child on my lap.
I could use my chest to hold their head a bit into place.
Someone suggested putting a blanket around the child's arms and holding it between your stomach and the child's back.
In this way, there are no flailing arms or hands to get in the way.
The tight blanket will do two things:
constrict the baby a bit
and catch stray food.
You could even use the end to wipe the baby's mouth, if needed.
Since the blanket is holding the arms, you can use your left hand (if you are right handed) not only to find the mouth, but if you put the palm of your hand under the chin, you have a bit of control on where the food goes.
the right hand controls the spoon.
I hope that I have explained it well.
I did find that the more sighted people fed my children, the less comfortable they were with me feeding them. So, eventually, I stopped the sighted feedings altogether. But, i didn't have a sighted husband, either.
Hope that this helps.
Jan