[blparent] Meet the blind

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Tue Oct 26 20:51:35 UTC 2010

I participated in a "Meet the blind" event last weekend.  We, the West Mesa
Chapter and the Albuquerque chapter of NFB chose points on the bosque and
walked with a friend.  The bosque is a path along the Rio Grande river.  I
walked 3.5 miles and others walked more or less.  What we did and what our
goal was is to show others that blind individuals do the same kind of things
that our sighted peers.  While out walking, we handed out literature about
blindness.  I handed out our new book, Parenting without sight.  The day was
beautiful for October 23, a little cloudy, but no wind.  My friend Paula,
her daughter and Gab walked with me.  We had a great time.  The most
important thing was that all the people on that path all saw me doing the
same thing they were doing.... walking! V