[blparent] New parent questions

Ronit Ovadia Mazzoni rovadia82 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 16:27:30 UTC 2010

Hi Mary Jo,
First, congratulations on the baby! When are you due? My husband and I are
also expecting our first due in April so I am doing all the same research
you are. Here is what I've found out so far.

In terms of carseats and strollers, it is difficult to find a good
combination of lightweight and pulling behind you. I have not seen this
paritcular stroller in person yet but it was suggested I check out the Graco
Alano FlipIt reversible handle stroller. I believ you can find this at
Babies R Us. The reviews I've read online, however, say that this stroller
does not steer well when the handle is in the reversed position. So this
doesn't seem like a great option, but something to check out. This stroller
does accept the Graco Snugride carseats. I'd suggest checking out the
snugride carseats because most Graco strollers can accommodate the snugride
carseats as a snap-in feature. We haven't quite decided on which one we are
getting yet, but I've narrowed it down to Graco for sure.

In terms of baby carriers, I've checked out both the Baby Bjorn and the Ergo
baby carrier. They are good for different things and it was suggested to me
that we have one of each. The Ergo has better back support but the baby can
only face inward, as Bran mentioned. As they get older though, they can look
from side to side, so it is still stimulating for them. The ergo also has an
infant insert that you can use so you can carry very little babies which
normally would not fit inside the ergo. Make sure you get the heart to heart
insert for the ergo. The baby Bjorn is helpful because it allows the baby to
face outwards and can accommodate very little babies. The back support is
not as great so for long walks, it might not be ideal. We are planning on
getting both. I Know others on this list have used the Beco Butterfly II as
well, but I have not seen this one in person.

In terms of braille books, we found a seller on Ebay who sells braille books
that she has already adapted. She takes regular print books with pictures or
touch and feel books and puts labels on them. They aer very cheap, as she
buys them used and then brailles them. Each book is 10 dollars or less. Just
search for braille books on ebay and you should be able to find her. She
sells different books depending on what she happens to have made at the
time. We bought some already and they are very well done, and so cheap too!

Hope all this helps! I'd love to hear more as you do your own research too.
Take care,
Ronit