[blparent] getting food off the spoon

Veronica Smith madison_tewe at spinn.net
Wed Sep 15 02:40:44 UTC 2010

I also used the coated spoon. V

-----Original Message-----
From: blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blparent-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Joy Wolf
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 9:11 PM
To: 'NFBnet Blind Parents Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [blparent] getting food off the spoon

Hi Leslie:

I forgot to ask a couple things when I talked with you earlier about this.
What kind of spoon are you using? Is it just a regular spoon or are you
using one of the kind made for little mouths? Also, what material is your
spoon made of? I found that the plastic baby spoons didn't go over well with
either of my kids, but the little coated ones with the softer surface were
much more comfortable or something.  Also, the food seemed to slip off
easier.  Try thinning your cereal a little.  Also, do you know if he likes
it? What I mean is have you tried dipping a finger in it and sticking that
in his mouth to see if he sucks at it? If not, I know you want to be sure he
doesn't react to the cereal but most babies don't.  Maybe in a few more days
it could be time to add some new food to the cereal.  That may help more
than you can imagine if he doesn't like the flavor.  I used to mix
everything from green beans to bananas with the cereal, because Kayla just
didn't like it.  When you do put the spoon in his mouth, you can do a couple
things.  First, when you go to pull back on the spoon, pull it up and out,
so maybe some of that stuff will slide off into his mouth.  Another thing I
used to do all the time with great success is to put the spoon in, then turn
it over inside his mouth so it's upside down.  I'm convinced that habbit of
mine was why both my kids used to put the spoon in and flip it over until
they were well into toddler years, lol, but it worked.  Just some thoughts.

Joy and family