[blparent] homeschooling

Brandy W branlw at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 26 20:15:58 UTC 2010

Hi, Now that my computer is back I can better answer this question. I've
homeschooled 4 children all at different times, and yes it can be done! It
can be done fairly inexpensively and is a lot of fun. the first thing to do
is research it as if you weren't blind. What approach do you want to use? Do
you want to do the whole schooling or use a part time enrichment type
program. Do you want to pick one solid curriculum or do you want shop around
for different subjects, or maybe you don't want one at all. I tend not to
use one. I look at the state and national standards and then decide how I
want to teach each subject. then after you have made up your mind or at
least picked what looks most appropriate for your family then start
thinking: How can I do this as a blind person? All the kids I've taught have
been pre-k through third. I'm coordinating my 5th Childs school and she is a
eighth grader and this is a whole new ball of wax. For those of you who
don't know me I don't have children, but nanny and tutor and these are often
the children I home school. Please ask all questions, and I'd be happy to
help. If I don't know the information I'll try to find it for you. There is
a yahoo group for families who are blind homeschooling and for sighted
parents home schooling blind children. It is called blindhomeschooler and
Trin may have the link. Hope this helps,

Bran

Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Educational consultant and team leader
www.playtoachieve.com