[blparent] Sensoring reading?

Robert Shelton rshelton1 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 19:37:56 UTC 2011

I really agree with Jo Elizabeth on this one.  In our society, by the time a
child is 12 years old, they've seen all kinds of things which might be
better postponed, in some cases, forever.  Reading and talking about it,
say, to a favorite aunt, is extremely healthy.  The complexities of an adult
world will be there soon enough.  The sooner a young person learns to deal
with them, the better, because it can't be avoided.

In an analogus direction, I never had an internet policy (other than not
installing or downloading (bleep) on the family computer, but I was usually
around when my boys were surfing.  They needed to understand that the
internet was like life -- complex, interesting, and often ugly.  As long as
they were open with me and understood the risks, I considered knowledge
healthy.

I think this worked for us because I had time to be there for them, which
will not be true for all parents.  I still think that the lesson is the
same.  You can't protect your children forever except by giving them the
tools they will need in order to make good decisions.  If you always make
the decision for them, then they never learn.

Just my $.02.