[blparent] Censoring reading?

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sun Aug 7 04:50:14 UTC 2011

I guess there's a big difference between eleven and fifteen.  My stepson
gets exposed to all kinds of things at school and on TV that I'd rather he
didn't, but some of it is because I'm not his natural parent and haven't
been setting the rules all along.  So for him, right now, the "at least he's
reading" line of logic does hold up.  I myself find Stephen King too
disturbing to read or listen to on TV, and so I ask him to use headphones if
I'm around, and also not to mention anything in the books to Sarah, who is
three and a half.  We had an incident early on where he told her that an
evil clown lived down inside the storm drains in the parking lot, and it
frightened her more than he meant to.  But I think he learned from that how
impressionable she is.

So, respectfully, I still believe that if a teenager is putting something
into his mind, reading and thinking and talking about it, then it's better
than the likely alternative, which is staring blankly at the TV or endlessly
playing brain-numbing video games.  Of course, every parent or guardian has
to make his or her own decision about the kids in question.

Jo Elizabeth

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself--nameless, unreasoning,
unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into
advance."--Franklin D. Roosevelt