[blparent] Censoring reading?

Erin Rumer erinrumer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:22:45 UTC 2011

Bridgit and Leanne I totally agree with your statements.  I think that we
under estimate the influences and effects that books like this can have on
any mind, but especially a child's influential and developing mind.  As a
well-respected pastor of mine once said, these forms of media create "stains
on the brain" and a lot of times we don't even realize the subconscious
effects they cause.  Why put that stuff in our heads and especially our
children's heads when there are so many wonderful good readings?  I had
pretty liberal parents growing up who allowed me to read King and other
things like that and even at a young age I didn't feel good about it,
although I still did out of curiosity because what kid wouldn't if allowed.
I feel like in many ways I was being more of a parent than my own parents
because not much was censored in my home and I can tell you I don't feel any
wiser or more worldly because of having seen and read some of the graphic
and vile garbage I was allowed to.  I wish my parents would have introduced
me to more healthy forms of entertainment and I will definitely be taking an
active role in my sons life as he begins to read, watch different shows,
etc.  I don't plan on making a huge blown-up deal about these things, but
simply and calmly have talks with my son about why certain things should not
be dabbled in.  I can't protect him from every little thing since we're in
the real world after all, so I'm sure Dawson will see his eye full of horror
which again will be a perfect opportunity for me as a parent to teach him
right from wrong and have an interpersonal conversation about what different
things mean and what makes those things wrong.  Food for thought.

Erin