[blparent] preg, ultrasound, etc. (all in one msg)

Ronit Ovadia Mazzoni rovadia82 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 22:10:29 UTC 2011

I just wanted to jump in on this topic since there was some discussion about genetic counseling. I am a genetic counselor and it is definitely a choice whether you receive genetic counseling or not, but just know that genetic counselors don't "push" anyone to do anything. Termination or not, it is always your choice and even if there is no test to look for a certain eye condition, it is sometimes helpful to learn about the genetics of a certain condition just to be aware of it. Doctors don't do a very good job educating patients about the inheritance of a condition, so that is the job of the genetic counselor.

Just wanted to show that not all genetic counselors are bad. :) I'm totally blind and use my blindness to my advantage all the time when it comes to educating my patients about my disability. Blind people and disabled people can do everything they want to, and now I can add "being a mom" to my list of things I've done. :)

If anyone has any other questions about genetic counseling, I'd be happy to answer them. I really don't want this profession to get a bad wrap from the blindness community and I am trying hard to educate everyone about what we really do. Granted, genetic counselors need to be more open to people with disabilities, but I am working on educating my coworkers and colleagues as well about this.

Ronit