[blparent] questions about baby products

Michael Baldwin mbaldwin at gpcom.net
Wed Aug 17 01:42:14 UTC 2011

The milk storage bags shouldn't matter which brand you get, normally you
pump in to a bottle, then put that milk in the bag to store for long term.
If your looking to freeze it, you can use old jelly jars and such, just
clean them out first really good, oh, and leave some head space so it can
expand when frozen. This actually came to us from a lactation consultant. In
this particular hospital, they only keep breast milk in clear glass, nothing
else.

The cloth diapers come many ways, from hardest to easiest to put on are:
Flats: the old kind, just a square of cloth you need to fold in who knows
which way to get them to work. Need pinned or snappied, and covers.
Pre-folds: are folded and stitched with extra layers in the middle. They
come in different sizes, but they are still ret angle shape. There are
different ways of folding them for comfort and absorbency. Needs pins or
snappies, and covers.
Fitted: Like pre-folds, but have an hour glass cut to them, go on like paper
diapers. Some have snaps or hook and loop, but most need pins or snappies,
and a diaper cover.
Pocket: Shaped like a paper diaper. There is an inside layer to wick
moisture from the skin, and an outside water proof layer. You insert
material in  a pocket for absorbency. Go on with snaps or hook and loop.
All-in-ones: Most like paper diapers. Everything is in one diaper, just put
it on with snaps or hook and loop.

The list is also in order of least to most expensive. We use the pre-folds
primarily. We have spent about $400 or so on diapers and supplies, and on
our 3rd kid with them.

Hope that helps you out some.
Michael