[blparent] school teacher - not an issue

Sheila Leigland sleigland at bresnan.net
Wed Aug 24 13:55:26 UTC 2011

Hi nikki it is difficult to control corcumstances when you live at home with parents. I know in my situation a long time ago now i felt like I really didn't have the right to speak up. It was their house not mine in the same way. There was so much that I didn't know about blindness skills. Parents don't intend to be mean or controling. They believe they are being helpful. I wanted to grow up and felt that I had the right to do so but didn't know how to proceed. My vr counselor at the time talked to me about getting an apartment and I was so hesetant to talk to my parents about it that an apartment was found before I discussed it and my parents found out. They were verry upset and hurt. It wasn't my intention to hurt them but that happened at least in part because I didn't have enough confidence in myself to take the necessary stands. Then I found out that they didn't feel I was capable of independence and I became hurt and angry. There was plenty of blame to go around. I'm totally blind and I couldn't watch my parents do things and learn that way. I needed hands on instruction. I got my apartment and worked for around six weeks with a rehab teacher and it helped alot. Your dad will come around when he sees that you can do the things that you need to do.