[blparent] baby carriers: (A review of the Baby k'tan carrier), etc

jan wright jan.wrightfamily5 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 18:24:27 UTC 2011

Hi All,
for christmas, DH got me the baby k'tan carrier/wrap.  Check the
spelling, it is "k '  t a n," for those of you using Jaws and need it
spelled out because Jaws does not pronounce it the way it is spelled.
I had ask for either this one or the beco butterfly carrier.
We got two carriers (don't know the brands) as shower gifts, but
(blush blush) they don't fit me. DH can carry the baby fine in them,
but I am a bit larger than the carriers will allow. I end up carrying
the baby as if he is sitting on my breasts.
Anyway, there are some advantages to the k'tan and I have to admit, it
is not nearly as difficult as the moby wrap to use. I like the "wrap"
concept, but I saw a friend's moby wrap and frankly, am just not
coordinated enough or smart enough -- or both to figure out how to
wrap it before the baby goes off to college. I could see myself
getting off of public transportation, trying for thirty minutes in the
cold weather to wrap the baby in the moby. Or, the taxi driver
charging me an extra $30+ because the meter was running all of the
time I was trying to get the fussy baby wrapped in the Moby. (smile)
 The Beco butterfly got such high reviews, I would have use this one,
even though technically, it is not a wrap. And, might try to find one
on Craig's list, if this does not work out.

What I have found with the K'tan (for anyone who is interested)
1. the instructions are pretty easy to understand and remember. Every
hold  but one starts with the four basic steps which makes it easy to
remember.  customer service has also said that they would skype video
chat with me, if needed to help me understand the carrying positions.
There are ... ... I think, 8 (but could be 6 ) different positions
that you can carry your baby which makes it versitile. You have to
practice a bit to adjust the fabric if it is too loose or too tight on
baby, but it is really not hard. And, I can load baby into it by
myself. OK, we have to adjust a bit, but less than I have had to do
for other carriers. and, with many carriers, I need some assistance
when loading baby.
2. Scooping the baby out of the wrap is relatively easy. If baby is
fussy and you need to get him out quickkly, you can. And, you can wear
the wrap until he is ready to go back into it. It is not big and
bulky, so (besides a bit of extra material), you are not wearing this
big heavy carrier. But, it is also easy to fold and pack to carry in
the car seat. Actually, I am going to see if I can  use it as an
insert around the head of the baby in the car seat, which gives  it a
dual purpose.
3. The fabric does seem to fit  snugly, so it does not feel like the
baby will fall out of it. Yes, I feel secure holding my baby in it.
But, I have only carried around the house. We will put it to the test,
soon.
4. Some of the proceeds go to fund down Syndrome Research. At least
they are trying to make some good contributions.
5.  A con: you have to buy the size that fits you, so if you exercise
and go down a size, I guess you will have to buy a new carrier.
(bummer). But, if you get the wrong size, there is a thirty day money
back policy, as well as a way to exchange the carrier for the right
size.

Now, my baby is a bit gassy and fussy , so I am not sure how long he
would stay in the carrier -- or any carrier for that matter. the only
position he seems to like is facing down, stomach  draped over my leg
but, next time we go out: (probably to  the Doctor's office), I'll let
you know if it works out.
 I just wanted parents to know that this carrier seems to be a good
option for those of us who feel like we are carrying a whole house
when we are out and want a way to carry baby up close next to us.
  the carriers run from $50 to $65, largely depending on color and
"organic" verses "non-organic."  I got mine for  about $50 with tax
and shipping but that was because the "soft sands," color was going
out of stock and they had an xl left and I happen to be an xl.

I would be happy to answer any questions about this carrier.
Jan